a life after university
It’s been a while since I last wrote but I’ve been busy throwing myself into my part time job after finishing Uni.. safe to say it wasn’t the best idea I’ve ever had, as I’m now exhausted.
Below are 5 things I believe as a post graduate you should consider as a newbie to the Adult world..
- Comparing yourself to others – in no circumstances should you be worrying what your ex classmates are doing now. We are all in different positions, just because they might love being queen of the photocopier doesn’t mean you have to love it too.
- Having a ‘plan’ – for those of you that know me you will all think this one is ironic however I’ve come to learn its true. It takes time and won’t happen at the click of your fingers so hang in there and your ‘plan’ will happen.
- “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” – you need to network until your nets can’t work anymore. Get in touch with professionals in your field, LinkedIn is a great way to do this. Introduce yourself and ask for advice.
- Get out of that Uni lifestyle – you can no longer stay up until 3am trying to finish a Netflix series or eating an entire pack of pot noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nor can you stroll around to the shop in your pjs or leave 3 weeks worth of washing up in the sink. Once you’re in this habbit, it’s so hard to get out.
- Get the ball rolling – last but no means least.. don’t be afraid to volunteer or get an internship. It’s not be all and end all if you can’t get a graduate job. Start small if you must, part time work is a great way to keep routine and to show future employers you’re a hard worker.
I’m not saying live by these points but take them into consideration. It’s a scary thing being in that limbo stage and I’m sure I won’t be the only one. All that being said, it’s a wonderful adventure called life and I’m looking forward every bit of it.